The Housing and Community Association is a registered society under the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014 and is an exempt charity and is formed for the benefit of the community. Its objects shall be to carry on for the benefit of the community:
• The business of providing and managing housing and providing assistance to help house people and associated facilities and amenities or services suitable for poor people or for the relief of aged, disabled (whether physically or mentally) or chronically sick people;
• Any other charitable object that may be carried out from time to time by the Co-operative and Community Benefits Societies.
Enterprise House provides a unique, yet affordable accommodation for persons of state retirement age who want to enjoy retirement in a community of like-minded people. It is an eight-storey block of 188 self-contained flats, with the capacity of accommodating 220 retired single or couples. Built in 1965 on three acres of ground, it has landscaped gardens adjoining Epping Forest. Enterprise House is within easy reach of public transport (bus and train) and shopping facilities at Station Road.
To maintain the ethos and principle of providing affordable house for those of limited means, single people will be offered a studio apartment and couples will be offered a one bed apartment.
All new tenancies will be offered a Tenancy which commences with a probationary period to assess the suitability of the accommodation to both the tenant and landlord. After the satisfactory completion of the probationary period a fixed term tenancy of up to two years may be offered. This may subsequently be renewed by further three year fixed term tenancies into the future.
2. Letting Applications
The Association maintains a Housing Register regarding letting applications. Letting applications must be made using the Association’s Housing Application Form and must be supported with disclosure of financial income and capital.
To be eligible to apply to become a tenant of the Association you must be:
• Of state pensionable age
• Capable of independent living;
• Able and willing to participate in the community of Enterprise House;
• Able to pay the monthly rent and service charges payable;
• Able to pay the full Loan Stock of £5000 - £10000 dependent on type of flat applied for (this loan stock may be reduced dependent on the applicants financial circumstances.to £1,500 for a studio flat, £2,000 for a one-bedroom flat and £2,500 for a conversion – larger one-bed flat), However, these lower amounts will result in a higher rent payable.
Housing applications will be refused where:
• They do not meet the eligibility criteria above; and/or
• The person(s) are subject to immigration control, unless they are re-included by order of the Secretary of State; and/or
• Person(s) from abroad whom are deemed by Parliament to be ineligible for an allocation of housing accommodation; and/or
• Person(s) who the Association decides to treat as ineligible due to unacceptable and/or anti-social behaviour which would prevent them from being considered as a suitable tenant, or have a poor tenancy record with another Landlord; and/or
• Person(s) who have made inaccurate and/or false statements or declarations on their application form; and/or transfers of an existing tenant of Enterprise House who wishes to transfer to an alternative vacant apartment within Enterprise House; and/or
• Applicants where financial information is not disclosure or is considered unreliable; and/or
• Applications that do not include a letter from their doctor confirming that they are able to live independently; and/or
• Information provided is considered by the Association to be suspect; and/or the Applicant(s) refuses to provide information requested by the Interviewing Panel.
Offers of a tenancy will be subject to satisfactory credit checks following an interview.
3. The Process for Housing Applications
Housing applications will be dealt with in receipt date order in relation to the type of accommodation being sought (studio flat for a single person or one-bedroom flat for couples).
Upon receipt of a housing application, the applicant(s) will be invited for an interview where the nature of Enterprise House will be explained and the applicants’ background, financial circumstances, and medical history will be discussed in more detail. Further confirmation of finances or medical condition will be sought at this interview.
Following the interview process, the applicant(s) will be informed regarding whether their application is considered suitable to be added to Housing Register for accommodation to be offered when available.
4. Annual Renewal of Housing Applications
Should the Housing Application remain on the Association’s Housing Register for more than twelve months, the initial application must be renewed should the applicant(s) wish to remain on the accommodation register.
5. Cancellation of Letting Applications
• Applicant requests it; and/or
• They become ineligible for housing; and/or
• Fail to maintain their housing application (through the renewal process); and/or
• Move home and fail to provide new contact details; and/or
• Fail to respond to a request for further information within the specified time.
6. Equal Opportunity
The Association will consider all Housing Applicants fairly and without bias or prejudice, irrespective of the applicants’ nationality, colour, race, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation.
Housing Applications will be monitored to ensure that applicants are not treated less favourably according to the above criteria.
7. Review and Complaint
An applicant may request a review of the Interviewing Panel’s decisions regarding their application and must be made in writing to the Chairman of the Association. The Chairman will investigate and respond in writing setting out his findings and the Association’s decision.
8. Policy Review
This policy will be reviewed not less than every two years. It was last reviewed in July 2017.
BECOME A PART OF THE ENTERPRISE HOUSE FAMILY
If you would like to apply for accommodation in Enterprise House, and if you are of state retirement age you can download our application form here or why not contact us.